Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Business Proces...  First Project... What's Next
Previous Previous

Next Disabled
New Post 1/24/2018 8:53 AM
User is offline Wavies
1 posts
No Ranking

First Project... What's Next 

Hi,

Recently I've taken on more responsibility within the Business Analysis with managing requirements realm as a way to help transition into a more agile environment. This is a little difficult as I zero formal training in BA (I've been in QA for about 6 years now).

My Sr. BA has provided me with Change Requests, Requirements, Derived Requirements, and the workflow for how they initially see it working but I'm still unsure of what to do next. I have visited: http://www.bridging-the-gap.com/business-analysis-process/ with hopes of shedding a little light on what's next but I'm still stuck.

I'm compiling a list of questions to ask my Sr. to better help me understand the objectives/scope/etc.

But what's next?

What do I use to formulate the business plan?

New Post 1/31/2018 11:21 AM
User is offline Nik J
1 posts
No Ranking

Re: First Project... What's Next 

Hi there,

So as I understand it, it seems like is the organization is shifting from a Waterfall to Agile methodology and your role is being transitioned to be a BA, reporting to a Sr. BA.  I have had to transition a few teams into Agile environments and it isn't always the simplest process, especially since people are generally used to doing things a certain way.  

Here's what you'll need to think about: 

1) Look up agile methodology online in case you need more info on what it's all about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

2) Figure out what web tools you'll be using for the Agile environment:  JIRA (epics/stories) / Confluence (document repository) combo is very strong,popular platform. or something else?

3) You'll need to plan out and configure the workflow for epic, story, and bug tickets in a tool like JIRA.  This will involve understanding how your organization's SDLC process flows, and converting this into transitions (shifting from one status to another) and statuses.   Here is a reference:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/working-with-workflows-802592661.html 

A common workflow I have used is:  Open > In Analysis > Ready for Dev > In Development > Ready for Code Review > In Code Review > Ready for QA > In QA > REady for Staging > In Staging > Ready for Merge > In Production/Complete

4) After all of this is done, you'll need to convert existing /new requirements into features that will become user stories in your Agile tool.  Typically a project will be an 'epic' and your feature would be a 'story' with associated use cases.  

Previous Previous

Next Disabled
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Business Proces...  First Project... What's Next

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Limor Wainstein
Limor Wainstein
Business development broadly refers to activities that create long-term value for an organization by implementing growth opportunities for an organization, such as forming a partnership that helps sell a product in a new market. Sales development, while closely related to business development, is a separate area that entails creating value for ...
0 Responses
EA Learning
EA Learning
On a recent Agile training course, the instructor opened the session by saying “Agile without a plan is just chaos!” I would like to propose that Agile without effective Architecture will eventually lead to chaos, particularly if organisations try to scale their Agile practices without some form of guiding framework. The fundamental r...
0 Responses
Limor Wainstein
Limor Wainstein
Business analysts typically gather and interpret data from many areas within an organization, finding solutions to business problems and improving business processes with all that data. A business analyst may measure and improve on such disparate things as warehouse efficiency and cloud software implementation. A marketing analyst, on the other...
0 Responses

Latest Articles

Lessons learnt from a land far, far away…
Feb 19, 2018
2 Comments
A long, long time ago in a land far, far away…. a project delivery team was busily spending their days delivering projects. They were tasked wi...
Featured Digital Library Resources 
Copyright 2006-2015 by Modern Analyst Media LLC