Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Business Proces...  Confusing Processes Starting Point
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 3/21/2019 3:34 AM
User is offline MadiMo
10 posts
10th Level Poster

Confusing Processes Starting Point 

Hello,

I have two processes with confusing scenarios.

In the first scenario, the process needs to start with a Decision Point, how would you represent this in the Flowchart?

In another scenario, I have a process where the starting point has two options, either the process could start from Stakeholder 1 or Stakeholder 2, but the next step is the same. In this scenario would you do two starting points?

Many thanks for the kind advice.

Madi

New Post 3/21/2019 1:46 PM
User is offline Chris Adams
312 posts
5th Level Poster

Re: Confusing Processes Starting Point 

Here is a short article that helps with some of the process modeling questions you have.  Technically the answer may depend on the precise standard you are trying to follow (BPMN, UML, etc). But practically it really doesn't matter.

https://www.modernanalyst.com/Careers/InterviewQuestions/tabid/128/ID/2729/Can-you-have-multiple-start-and-end-events-in-BPMN.aspx

A few things of note:

1. BPMN processes can have multiple unique start points.
  2. Two starts that have the same "trigger" are actually the same start.  The trigger is always satisfied by some set of preconditions.  So, think about what those preconditions should be.
  3. If you find yourself starting a process with a decision then you probably have some task or activity before that decision. Or, the decision is two starts with two separate triggers that go into two flows.

I think with this information you should be able to figure out the answers you need for your specific cases.

Chris Adams
Core Member – ModernAnalyst.com
LinkedIn Profile

New Post 3/26/2019 3:46 AM
User is offline MadiMo
10 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Confusing Processes Starting Point 

Thank you very much for the useful answer.

For the comment about two starts and two triggers, my scenario is that I actually have one start but with two triggers, this means the starting point can either happen if x or y happened, how could this be mapped?

I appreciate your kind advice.

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Business Proces...  Confusing Processes Starting Point

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Heta Raval
Heta Raval
In a current scenario, when you are eliciting software service-based requirements then, you may be able to derive requirements in certain varieties. In the beginning, they can be just functional or non-functional requirements. But when you come across many other requirements as time goes, you can conclude requirements into several categories and wi...
0 Responses
Heta Raval
Heta Raval
It is essential to write an impressive approach which helps you to make a client convinced about your understanding of his requirement. The satisfactory approach would help you to be on the same page with the client. So, your chances to get the contract/project would raise. In order to provide a technical solution, a business analyst needs to recog...
0 Responses
Arash
Arash
Machine Learning (ML) models are intended to positively impact business efficiency. By understanding how these models are created, how they function, and how they are put into production, one can fully utilize their potential to make a difference in every day scenarios.   What is a Machine Learning Model? By creating cases within a narrow d...
0 Responses

Latest Articles

What happens when the BA and UX worlds collide?
Aug 18, 2019
0 Comments
Are you a Business Analyst (BA) wondering what User Experience (UX) Design is all about and how your involvement in a design project is likely to impa...
Copyright 2006-2019 by Modern Analyst Media LLC