Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Software for An...  What types of software tools do you use?
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 5/11/2009 6:55 PM
User is offline Tom Miller, CSPO
45 posts
www.linkedin.com/in/tlgalenson
8th Level Poster

Re: What types of software tools do you use? 
Modified By Tom Miller, CSPO  on 5/11/2009 8:58:02 PM)

Adrian:

Is this

• SOFTWARE: Visual Studio Web Edition, PURPOSE: UI Mockups, Prototypes

The same thing as Visual Studio Express 2008 - Web edition?

New Post 12/12/2010 1:24 PM
User is offline Peter
5 posts
10th Level Poster

Modified By Peter  on 12/12/2010 4:27:15 PM)
  • Outlook - Meetings, Emails, tasks
  • OneNote, paper - Requirements Gathering, tasks integrated into Outlook
  • Mindjet Mindmanager - Organising my work and mind on one page. Also to produce various MS Word docs and MS project charts, tasks integrated into Outlook
  • MS Word - finishing up docs created by MM, above
  • MS Project - finishing up docs created by MM, above
  • BizAgi Process Modeler - Process Modelling

Peter

-- I don't work here. I'm a consultant.

New Post 12/20/2010 11:11 AM
User is offline Alessio
2 posts
No Ranking

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so I may not follow completely the standard way of doing analysis here. However, I do think something I have to say is interesting.

The software I use is:

Sqlite - for database needs. For me it handled more than half million records.

R - for statistical needs. It is a programming languange. It is easy to learn for the basic features and it is really flexible

Latex - for reporting needs. It is much better than Word and you can learn in a week or so.

Inkscape - for diagram needs. I don't know Visio, but I believe Inkscape does its job when it comes to simple diagrams. I also think it would be good for advanced stuff, but this is not tested.

Python - for scripting needs. I don't like repiting my analysis over and over again. I usually write a script and do things automatically. This is faster and more reliable. I used python to generate automatically reports, graphs and statistical analysis using data from Sqlite.

Pyqt - for interface needs. At some point I grew tired of writing code everytime, so I used Pyqt to create small programs. For example, a program I did was able to make graphs directly from the database using SQL language.

I used those softwares to analyse pricing and I had good results. I am fond of scripting now, it just improves your life when you get it to work. Besides, with Python you can create your own programs and this is just really useful when you do similar analysis many times.

New Post 12/29/2010 6:37 PM
User is offline Craig Brown
560 posts
www.betterprojects.net
4th Level Poster

I have just been using Jama's RM tool Contour. It seems easy to use and helps manage the ad hoc-ness of discovery pretty well.  (free 1 month trial at their website.)

As for Visio - if you aren't using it as a plug in to something more in depth, why not just stick with ppt for simple diagrams like flow charts and activity diagrams?

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Software for An...  What types of software tools do you use?

Community Blog - Latest Posts

m_anst
m_anst
What Does Success Look Like? I challenge Business Analysts to view requestors’ requirements as an opportunity to define success. Too often, teams fall into a trap focused on requestors’ prescriptive requirements that are meant to serve as roadmaps for developers and testers. When you limit your view of requirements to this prescripti...
0 Responses
Mariya Kotsupalova
Mariya Kotsupalova
They say the best criteria of Business Analyst’s success are a happy customer (business) and a happy engineering team. But what does it mean? How can we break down happiness and measure it? These are precisely the questions my 8 BAs team and I tried to answer this year. The result was a surprisingly efficient pair of surveys we developed and ...
0 Responses
Rajesh-N
Rajesh-N
Explore the Benefits of RPA's Adoption Across Segments In the past few years, we have seen steady growth in Robotic Process Automation (RPA). It gathered momentum in 2019 and became a hot topic in IT and business circuits in 2020. The power of process automation will be felt even more strongly, propelling its adoption as a replacement f...
0 Responses

Copyright 2006-2020 by Modern Analyst Media LLC