Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Agile Analysis ...  Agile needed or just another re-invention of the wheel?
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 1/30/2020 8:18 PM
User is offline UserFocussedAnalysis
2 posts
No Ranking

Agile needed or just another re-invention of the wheel? 
Ive been in IT going on a few decades now, I do BA work and usually people hire me to be the PM, BA, SA (assistant), DBA, Tester etc, copy and insert SDLC roles.

And Im ok with this.

But I look at Agile, which Im certified in, and I wonder is this another ITIL, that for some reason people feel necessarry when really it isn't. Aside from naming roles and processes around Rugby Union, which I find incredibly unprofessional, I don't see as a Project Manager or a BA or a UX designer or any role, how it really improved anything.

If you run Prince 2 as PM methodology and you use RAD as your iteration methodology, you should be effectively doing the same objective but with faster and more defined iterations, requirements, testing, acceptance, whatever part of the SDLC you want to critique.

I just feel Agile whilst if you ignore is silly naming conventions, can (not always) improve iteration speed its an ok method.

But why re invent the wheel when Water Fall with RAD iterations does the same think but with clearer objectives and roles.

Ive run projects with both and I see far better results with Prince 2 methods, providing you also use Rapid Application Development.

I think Agile folk got this idea in their head that waterfall means slow year long iterations, and perhaps they worked in government type sectors where that was the case, while rest of us were pumping out weekly or bi weekly iterations with full tested use cases that are then signed off by the Sponsor and or Stakeholder/s.

Interested to hear other experiences with rapid waterfall development vs agile.......

Unfortunately its there now and its something one has to know how to run given its been sold as more "Agile" when IMO thats a false narrative based on situations where SDLC is run unnecessarily slow (perhaps on purpose in some instances)

Please, this is not a beat up on Agile, more a curiosity as to where slow Waterfall SDLC created the proposed need for agile. The concept is a good one, its just I feel its already there and has been the whole time, depending on who is running the SDLC and with what methods. :-)

New Post 2/13/2020 11:53 PM
User is offline Rich Anderson
1 posts
No Ranking

Re: Agile needed or just another re-invention of the wheel? 

The problem with "Agile" is that it only solves a small part of the problem.  If the objective is to increase throughput in the delivery process, then a much more robust (and automated) approach is called for.  I suggest the book Lean Enterprise by Jez Humble as a good primer. 

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Agile Analysis ...  Agile needed or just another re-invention of the wheel?

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Jason White
Jason White
With time, we have evolved from oiled lamps to ever-present electricity, printing every page manually to now producing thousands of copies a day and so on. But what is the one thing these distinct things have in common? Yes, technology.One such branch of technology that has crossed leaps and bounds and turned into a  working technology fr...
1 Responses
Digital Business Analysis
Digital Business Analysis
Nowadays, companies like Audi and HSBC, use IT systems in everything they do. Does that make them to be IT companies rather than banks? Most would probably agree that HSBC is a bank, just as Audi is a car manufacturer. But what about digital banks such as Chime or companies offering digital products? In digital companies, most of the employees work...
1 Responses
Digvijaybook
Digvijaybook
IT companies are rapidly looking or adapting modern methodologies, so the business analyst role is increasing day by day. Offline is shifting to online, and this is why today, companies can easily garner important data in any aspect. But, data itself has no meaning hence, organizations look for a business analyst who can analyze the data and draw a...
3 Responses

Latest Articles

Rethinking the Triple Constraint: Five Project Dimensions
Feb 17, 2020
0 Comments
Perhaps you’ve seen a sign at an auto repair shop that asked, “What do you want: good, fast, or cheap? Pick two.” While humorous, th...
Copyright 2006-2020 by Modern Analyst Media LLC