Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  General  Is this something a BA should be involved in?
Previous Previous

Next Disabled
New Post 3/26/2020 4:29 AM
Unresolved
User is offline LWAnalysis
1 posts
No Ranking

Is this something a BA should be involved in? 

Hi, so relatively new BA (about ready to take Foundation BA BCS qualification).

I'm working in a company which doesn't use BAs for much beyond requirements gathering, certainly very little time outside of this phase so plenty of non-standard practice at least based on what I've learned from the Foundation course. 

I've been tasked to work on a project where an a large number of queues, APIs, files etc. are on an end-of-life data server and they need to be moved to a new location(s). While it's an opportunity to improve some legacy code, there are no functional changes intended. 

In other words, given some code does a task/activity at the moment, when it's moved, it should still do the same task.

As I see it, the project will pretty much have to run as follows:

1) developers identify what needs to migrate
2) developers tell BA what needs to be done and what functions will could be affected 
3) BA writes up everything the developers already know, as requirements
4) developers follow requirements which they already know because they determined them
5) QAs test functions which could be affected

I have very little technical knowledge (what I have has been gained by asking questions, but I have no technical training or background). All of the migrating code is background automation of existing processes. So I can't really see that I can add any value as a Business Analyst in this task.

So what I want to understand is whether other companies would use a BA in this project? 

Thanks for your input

New Post 3/28/2020 6:43 AM
User is offline Usman_chiefoftheglen
9 posts
10th Level Poster

Re: Is this something a BA should be involved in? 

Hi, 

"So what I want to understand is whether other companies would use a BA in this project?" 

This really depends on the organisation. It sounds like your role is more of a PM/facilitator to make sure the project gets don't. Sometimes this would be left to a developer to deliver. The "Analyst" part of your role means you can expect to do less BA type work such as PM and release management etc. 

Previous Previous

Next Disabled
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  General  Is this something a BA should be involved in?

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Neetu
Neetu
As a business analyst, we capture client requirements in different documents like BRD (business requirement document), FSD (functional specification document) and SRS (software requirement specification). If we are capturing the requirements in these documents, then why the document nomenclature is different? The answer is Yes. We are capturing the...
2 Responses
Jason White
Jason White
With time, we have evolved from oiled lamps to ever-present electricity, printing every page manually to now producing thousands of copies a day and so on. But what is the one thing these distinct things have in common? Yes, technology.One such branch of technology that has crossed leaps and bounds and turned into a  working technology fr...
1 Responses
Digital Business Analysis
Digital Business Analysis
Nowadays, companies like Audi and HSBC, use IT systems in everything they do. Does that make them to be IT companies rather than banks? Most would probably agree that HSBC is a bank, just as Audi is a car manufacturer. But what about digital banks such as Chime or companies offering digital products? In digital companies, most of the employees work...
1 Responses

Latest Articles

Business Analysts Can Play a Central Role in Solving the Coronavirus Pandemic
Mar 29, 2020
1 Comments
As the pandemic continues to upend life around the world, data, big and small, takes a central role in mobilizing the right efforts to prevent a much ...
Copyright 2006-2020 by Modern Analyst Media LLC