Forums for the Business Analyst

Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Agile Analysis ...  Agile iteration size pros and cons
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 1/26/2018 4:28 AM
Unresolved
User is offline rdonohoe
1 posts
No Ranking

Agile iteration size pros and cons 

My large multi-year project is moving to Agile and the policy is for agile iterations between 2 and 4 weeks in length.  We are debating which is better to start with - 2 week or 4 week iterations.  Anyone care to reply with pros and cons for each?  Our direct team has little agile experience and we are about evenly split, so I have the task of researching pros and cons of each choice.

New Post 4/9/2018 9:24 AM
User is offline Carolcz
3 posts
No Ranking

Re: Agile iteration size pros and cons 
I have worked on 2 different companies that are moving from waterfall or iterative towards agile. I would recommend 4 wk sprints to start, until everyone (stakeholders to developer and testers) gets the idea how things work. Learning takes time so give yourself the time to get it working before trying to zip through with 2 week sprints.

New Post 8/7/2018 2:20 AM
User is offline DerekC
2 posts
No Ranking

Re: Agile iteration size pros and cons 

I'd take the view that there are some other important considerations before deciding.

If you are using Scrum then ideally your whole time is looking at a full day lost at end/start of sprint in order to do retrospective and planning for next sprint - so 2 week sprints can definitely be problematic unless that 10% 'lost' time is fully understood and accepted up-front.

However if your team needs to be very responsive to changes because of the nature of your business user base, or just the project itself, then locking yourself down for a full month could be an issue leading to you re-planning your sprint part-way.

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Agile Analysis ...  Agile iteration size pros and cons

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Ann P
Ann P
What’s the difference between ECBA CCBA and CBAP Certification? Which certification should I pursue ECBA CCBA or CBAP? How do I know which certification is right/suited for me? There are so many certifications I am completely confused which one to pursue? Can you please guide me on which certification should I go for?   These are s...
1 Responses
Simona from Minit
Simona from Minit
Process mapping vs. process discovery is akin to perceived reality vs. reality; the former rooted in subjectivity, the latter rooted in verifiable data. Elements of process mapping creep into process discovery, restricting an absolute dichotomy between the two. However, the critical differentiator between mapping and discovery lies in the distincti...
0 Responses
Byy
Byy
What is Workflow Automation? As we are in a digital age, automation is everywhere in everyday activities and surroundings. This digital transformation impacts the value chain, the product/services portfolio, development and engineering, all the way to distribution, sales channels and customer relationships. Workflow automation replaces manual...
0 Responses

Latest Articles

Lean-Agile Bath Remodel Project
Aug 12, 2018
0 Comments
The purpose of this article is to cite an example of using Lean-Agile project management for a small home construction project – a bathroom remo...
Featured Digital Library Resources 
Copyright 2006-2018 by Modern Analyst Media LLC